Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Photos from Foxton available online

Seems that some of you have already discovered this, but I thought I should probably blog it in case there are some of you who wait for the announcement (yeah, right ;-)

The large upload proceeded last night and worked without interuption (which is rare I have to say) and I was able to put the finishing touches to the set this morning and get the site links updated, but an early work engagement meant I had to leave the blog 'til later. It's a big set as predicted as the trail design allowed multiple opportunities to shoot each competitor - if I didn't get very many shots one time, I usually got more another. Also managed to get a few nice sequences of shots for some of you showing phases through your mount's pace.

You may have noticed the new filename prefix on the images - this indicates yet another camera upgrade - the "original" images are now 18 megapixels - the compressed JPG files are generally somewhere between 6 - 10 megabytes (average in the set is about 7.5MB) so just be aware of the size if you want to download for printing.

This is a grainier set than usual due to the overcast day and the high proportion of shots in forest. The 3200 ISO setting is pushing the sensor fairly hard, and I probably should have dropped it down whenever the opportunity presented. The smaller number of images shot at 800 and 1600 have turned out better (in open and sunlit conditions I usually shoot at 400 ISO). However, at screen resolution or for small prints, the effects should not be so noticeable - it's mainly when blown up to full size the graininess and fuzziness becomes obvious.

Anyway, enough of me wittering on about cameras and ISO and image qualities - I hope you enjoy the photos, and look forward to seeing you at Waitarere this coming weekend.

No comments: