Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Waikawa Beach pre-entries close 8 p.m. Friday 29 October

Through an oversight, the pre-entries closure date for the postponed Maymorn ride was not updated when the Calendar page was updated for Waikawa Beach this Sunday. My apologies for this. If you know anyone who thought they couldn't enter because of this, please let them know that pre-entries are still open and we're keen to have them join us.

Meanwhile, we await favourable weather for Sunday with bated breath - while it's not unheard of for our rides to be postponed or cancelled due to the weather or the ground conditions at a venue, it's always a great disappointment to us. Rest assured, the decision to cancel a ride is not taken lightly.

We're investigating the feasibility of setting up a club phone with voicemail greeting so that if the weather's a bit suspect, you can check the status of the ride before committing to the journey. Of course, if you're leaving early the day before for one of our more distant venues, you may need to check while on the road - while we'll update the status as early as possible you still need to use your own judgement when conditions are marginal.

At this stage, the MetService 10 day forecast is looking quite favourable for Sunday - it's just a matter of timing - if the predicted southerly clears on Saturday, we're in for a wonderful beach ride on Sunday.

Hope to see you there.


Saturday, 16 October 2010

Maymorn postponed due to MetService Severe Weather Warning

With considerable regret, our organisers have decided to postpone the Maymorn ride that was scheduled for Sunday 17 October. A severe weather warning issued at 11:13 am on Saturday describes the deteriorating conditions as likely to be hazardous for driving, and we really don't want you towing your horses under those conditions.

At this stage we're uncertain when the ride will be rescheduled - availability of venue and organisers is yet to be determined. We'll keep you posted.

You can keep abreast of the severe weather updates on the Met Service website.
MetService Severe Weather Warning

Sunday, 10 October 2010

Newsletter 139 published - rescheduled Pukemarama confirmed for 7 November

Here we are again - after one false start (hopefully the only one for the year, fingers crossed) the WATRC competition year is about to get under way with the always popular Maymorn ride. No doubt you've all made what use you could of the dry spells in the last 2 weeks to further hone your horse's training. The weather this spring has certainly been a challenge, unless you're a duck !

Ride flyers are now available for Waikawa Beach (31 October) and the re-scheduled Pukemarama (7 November). This year we've adopted the practice of including these in the calendar as a link from the ride so that you can find them easily. Of course, they're also included in preceding newsletters.

Our latest Newsletter reminds you to pre-enter for Intermediate and Open classes, and encourages you to introduce someone new to CTR.

So, we hope to see you and your mount at Maymorn, with a friend.